- This event has passed.
How to ENJOY Winter Camping
January 20, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$20 – $25
Winter camping and hiking can be rewarding and fun, with the right equipment and a little know-how. For example, do you know how to safely use snow as insulation, or when to invert your water bottle? Are you familiar with the multitude of sleeping pad options and other gear choices?
Join DRA Naturalist Sarah Gladu and Seth Walton from Maine Sport Outfitters for snow shelter building, gear demonstrations, snowshoeing, compass navigation, and winter cooking at a campfire.
During the course of the day, we will
- Build a snow shelter
- Talk about pre-trip planning and “the 10 Essentials”
- Check out options for clothing, layering systems, boots, microspikes, sleeping gear, and packs
- Build a cooking area out of snow and cook lunch outdoors
- Take an afternoon snowshoe hike
- Work on navigation with a compass
Bring a water bottle and snowshoes, if you have them, and come prepared to be outside most of the day. Lunch and snacks will be provided. To help with planning, register by January 16.
If you don’t have snowshoes, let us know beforehand so we can arrange to provide a pair in your size.
Snow shelter photo courtesy of George Crawford.